India’s Murali Sreeshankar successfully defended his title in the men’s long jump event at the International Jumping Meeting 2023 in Kallithea, Greece on Wednesday (24th May 2023).
* The 24-year-old M Sreeshankar registered his season-best jump of 8.18m to beat compatriot and national record holder Jeswin Aldrin, who claimed silver with an effort of 7.85m.
* M Sreeshankar had won the International Jumping Meeting last year with an effort of 8.31m.
* Sreeshankar’s best jump at the Kallithea meet, a World Athletics Continental Tour bronze label event, came in his sixth and final attempt. His other jumps measured 7.94m, 8.17m, 8.11m, 8.04m and 8.01m.
* Jeswin Aldrin, meanwhile, warmed up with a jump of 7.81m and had his best jump on his second attempt. His subsequent tries read 7.74m, 7.74m and 7.79m. Jeswin Aldrin’s final attempt ended up as a foul.
* Jalen Rucker of Australia won bronze for a 7.80m effort in the 12-man field.
* This was Murali Sreeshankar’s third competition of the year and also the third gold medal. He won the gold medal at the MVA High Performance athletics meet in Chula Vista, USA in May with an effort of 8.29m - 0.07m short of his personal best. Earlier, he won the long jump event at the third Indian Grand Prix in March with a jump of 7.94m...
Source : Olympics