The chief of the Reserve Bank of India, Shaktikanta Das was honoured with the title of ‘Governor of the Year’ for 2023 by Central Banking in London. Central Banking is an international economic research journal.
Reason : The award recognised his role as the RBI chief in managing inflation and skilfully handling India's banking system during crises like COVID pandemic and global turmoils.
* The RBI governor is behind critical reforms, and has ensured smooth management of world-leading payments innovation and led India through difficult times, said the organisers.
* He was recommended for the award by the publication in March 2023. He was awarded the title for his leadership of the central bank during global turmoil and tough situations.
* He managed India's central bank, and ultimately the whole banking system with finesse during COVID-19 pandemic, significant non-banking companies, Russia-Ukraine war, etc.
* He is the second RBI governor after Raghuram Rajan, who was honored with this title in 2015.
* While the National Bank of Ukraine was presented with the 2023 Central Bank of the Year..
Source : Mint