Correct Answer : Option (C) - Narendra Modi
The Bengaluru Metro Rail Corporation (BMRCL) has started commercial operations on the 13.71 km Whitefield (Kadugodi) to Krishnarajapuram (K R Puram) Metro stretch, making it the city's first tech corridor to be connected to the Namma Metro network.
* The inauguration of this new line was done by Prime Minister Narendra Modi on March 25, 2023, and the operations started from March 26, 2023.
* This marks a significant milestone for Bengaluru's transportation infrastructure as Namma Metro has now become the second largest metro network in the country after Delhi Metro.
* The 13.7 km section will reduce journey times by 40% and benefit approximately 500,000 to 600,000 people who work in IT parks, export promotion industrial areas, malls, and hospitals.
* During the inauguration ceremony, Modi purchased a ticket from the counter and travelled by Metro from Whitefield to Sri Satya Sai Hospital station and back. He also interacted with school students, Metro employees, and workers.
* The governor Thawar Chand Gehlot, CM Basavaraj Bommai, and other senior officials were also present at the ceremony.
* The Whitefield-Krishnarajapura Metro is an extension of the existing Purple Line (Metro's east-west corridor) and cost approximately INR 4,000 crore to build.
* It includes 12 stations : Krishnarajapuram, Singayyanapalya, Garudacharpalya, Hoodi, Seetharam Palya, Kundalahalli, Nallurhalli, Sri Sathya Sai Hospital, Pattandur Agrahara, Kadugodi Tree Park, Hopefarm Channasandra, and Whitefield (Kadugodi).
* The frequency of train services in this section will be 12 minutes, and it is expected to have a daily ridership of 150,000. The section will be operated by five six-coach BEML trains, which have regenerative braking features that save around 30-35% of energy consumption.