Correct Answer : Option (D) - Carlos Alcaraz
Spaniard Carlos Alcaraz has become the youngest year-end ATP World Number 1, making him the first teenager to achieve this feat.
* Following Rafael Nadal's defeat to Felix Auger-Aliassime in the ATP Finals 2022 that knocked him out of contention for the final four.
* Alcaraz has shown an incredible rise in the world of tennis this year(2022).
* He soared from number 32 to the top of this sport’s mountain on September 12, which is also the biggest jump to number one in 50 editions of year-end ATP rankings.
* Before this 19-year-old star, the youngest year-end ATP World Number 1 was Lleyton Hewitt of Australia, who was 20 years, 275 days in age at the time of his crowning in 2001.
* On the other hand, Alcaraz will be 19 years, 214 days old on December 5, the 2022 year-end ranking date after the last ATP Challengers Tour events of the season.
* He is the 18th year-end world number 1 in history and the first outside of 'Big Four' players Novak Djokovic, Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal and Andy Murray since Andy Roddick in 2003.
* Alcaraz has joined Nadal (2008, 2010, 2013, 2017 and 2019) as Spain's year-end world number 1.
* The 2021 Next Gen ATP Finals champion made a huge splash after becoming the youngest ATP 500 champion in the history of the series (since 2009) at the Rio Open. After that, Alcaraz clinched his first-ever ATP Masters 1000 title in Miami.
* Alcaraz lead the tour with two Masters 1000 crowns and five overall titles in 2022. During the Madrid Open in May, he defeated heavyweights like Nadal, Djokovic and then-world number 3 Alexander Zverev to clinch the trophy.
* But the biggest moment of this 19-year-old's career came at US Open, where he was crowned as the youngest men's singles winner at this major American competition since the 19-year-old Pete Sampras in 1990.
* He is also the youngest grand slam champion in men's singles since a 19-year-old Nadal won the French Open in 2005.
The teenager has completed this year with 57-13 record, which also includes nine victories in his 14 matches against Top 10 opponents..Source : Business Standard