Correct Answer : Option (C) - 1 and 3 only
Section 144 CrPC
* This law empowers the magistrate of any state or union territory in India to pass an order prohibiting the gathering of four or more people in a specified area.
* It is imposed in urgent cases of nuisance or apprehended danger of some event that has the potential to cause trouble or damage to human life or property.
* This order can be passed against a particular individual or general public. Hence, statement 1 is correct.
Features of Section 144:
* It places restrictions on handling or transporting any kind of weapon in the given jurisdiction.
* The maximum punishment for such an act is three years.
* According to the order under this section, there shall be no movement of public and all educational institutions shall also remain closed. Hence, statement 2 is not correct.
* Further, there will be a complete bar on holding any kind of public meeting or rallies during the period of operation of this order.
* It also empowers the authorities to block internet access in the region.
* The ultimate purpose of Section 144 is to maintain peace and order in the areas where trouble could erupt to disrupt the regular life.
Duration of Section 144 Order:
* No order under this section can remain in force for a period of more than 2 months. Hence, statement 3 is correct.
* Under the state government’s discretion, it can choose to extend the validity for two more months with the maximum validity extendable to six months.