Correct Answer : Option (A) - Dhyan Chand
India celebrated its National Sports Day on 29 August 2017. The day is annually celebrated on this day to mark the birth anniversary of legendary hockey player "Dhyan Chand".
Various programmes are being conducted across India to celebrate the day. On this occasion, President Ram Nath Kovind will give away the National Sports Awards this evening. A total of 29 players have been selected to receive the honours from President.
About Dhyan Chand :
• Born on 29 August 1905 in Allahabad, Dhyan Chand was an Indian field hockey player and is considered as one of the greatest field hockey players of all time.
• He is known for his extraordinary goal-scoring feats.
• He helped India to win three Olympic gold medals in 1928, 1932, and 1936 in field hockey.
• He was known as “The Wizard” for his superb ball control.
• He scored more than 400 goals in his career which spanned over 22 years.
• In 1956, he was awarded with the third highest (then second highest) Civilian honour of Padma Bhushan.
• The Union Government in 2012 decided to celebrate his birthday, i.e. 29 August, as the country’s National Sports Day.