Correct Answer : Option (B) - 2 only
The Regional Connectivity Scheme UDAN (UdeDeshkaAamNagrik), the flagship scheme of the Ministry of Civil Aviation (MoCA) has been selected for Prime Minister’s Award for Excellence in Public Administration 2020 under the category “Innovation (General) – Central”.
Launch : It was launched as a RCS under the Ministry of Civil Aviation in 2016.
About the UDAN Scheme : UDAN scheme emphasizes on Good Governance, Qualitative achievements, and last mile connectivity rather than only on achievement of quantitative targets. In a short span of five years, 415 UDAN routes have connected 66 underserved and unserved airports, including heliports and over 92 lakh people have benefited from it.
* To develop the regional aviation market.
* To provide affordable, economically viable and profitable air travel on regional routes to the common man even in small towns.
* The scheme envisages providing connectivity to un-served and underserved airports of the country through the revival of existing air-strips and airports. The scheme is operational for a period of 10 years.
* Under-served airports are those which do not have more than one flight a day, while unserved airports are those where there are no operations.
* Financial incentives from the Centre, state governments and airport operators are extended to selected airlines
to encourage operations from unserved and under-served airports, and keep airfares affordable.Source : PIB