Correct Answer : Option (A) - March 17th
As a child, Kalpana Chawla was fascinated by aircraft. When she grew up, Kalpana Chawla fulfilled her desire to be an astronaut and became the first Indian woman to go to space.
* Kalpana Chawla was born in Karnal, Haryana, on March 17, 1962. After completing her initial studies in her hometown, she went to pursue aeronautical engineering at Punjab Engineering College, Chandigarh.
* After obtaining a bachelor's degree in aeronautical engineering, Kalpana Chawla moved to the US in 1982.
* She obtained a Mater's of Science degree in aerospace engineering from the University of Texas in 1984 and, in 1988, a doctorate of philosophy in aerospace engineering from the University of Colorado.
* Shortly thereafter, Kalpana Chawla joined NASA's Ames Research Centre.
* She was selected as an astronaut candidate by NASA in December 1994.
* Her first journey to space was in 1997 on Space Shuttle Columbia. She flew as a mission specialist and primary robotic arm operator on this mission.
* She flew in a second space mission, STS-107, in 2003. The 16-day flight was a dedicated science and research mission.
* While entering Earth's atmosphere on its return, the space shuttle disintegrated, killing all 7 crew members.
* Her remains were cremated and scattered at National Park in Utah, US. This was her wish.
MetSat-1, the first satellite under the Met-Sat series, which was launched on September 12, 2002 by India, was renamed Kalpana-1 to honour her..Source : NDTV