Correct Answer : Option (C) - Both 1 and 2
* Former Pakistan President General Pervez Musharraf (retired) has been hospitalized for the last 3 weeks due to a complication of his ailment (Amyloidosis).
* Amyloidosis is a rare disease that occurs when an abnormal protein, called amyloid, builds up in one’s organs, affecting their shape and functioning.
* Amyloid deposits can build up in the heart, brain, kidneys, spleen and other parts of the body, leading to life-threatening conditions like organ failure.
* Amyloid isn’t normally found in the body, but can be formed from several different types of proteins. Some varieties of amyloidosis occur in association with other diseases.
These types may improve with treatment of the underlying disease. Some varieties of amyloidosis may lead to life-threatening organ failure.
There are also different amyloidosis that are prevalent :
* Light-chain (AL) amyloidosis : People with conditions such as multiple myeloma or a bone marrow illness are more likely to have AL amyloidosis.
Another type is the AA amyloidosis. Previously known as secondary amyloidosis, this condition is the result of another chronic infectious or inflammatory disease, such as rheumatoid arthritis, Crohn’s disease, or ulcerative colitis..Source : Indian Express