Correct Answer : Option (D) - Agricultural and Processed Food Products Export Development Authority (APEDA).
Union Minister for Commerce and Industry Shri Piyush Goyal will be the Chief Guest at the ‘Millets-Smart Nutritive Food’ Conclave to be held in New Delhi on 05 December 2022.
* The Conclave is being organized by the Ministry of Commerce and Industry through its apex agricultural export promotion body, Agricultural and Processed Food Products Export Development Authority (APEDA).
Objective : Promoting the export of millets.
* The Conclave is to be a pre-launch event of the ‘International Year of Millets – 2023’ (IYoM-2023).
* At the first-of-its-kind Millets Conclave, the government will release e-catalogue on 30 potential importing countries and 21 millet producing states of India.
I* ndia is one of the leading producers of millets in the world with an estimated share of around 41 percent in the global production.
* As per FAO, world production of millets in the year 2020 was 30.464 million metric tonnes (MMT) and India’s share was 12.49 MMT, which accounts to 41 percent of the total millet production.
* India recorded 27 percent growth in millet production in 2021-22 as compared to millet production in the previous year was 15.92 MMT.
* Share of export of millets is nearly 1% of the total millet production.
* Exports of millets from India include mainly whole grain and the export of value-added products of millets from India is negligible.
India’s top five millet producing states :
* India’s top five millet producing states are Rajasthan, Maharashtra, Karnataka, Gujarat and Madhya Pradesh.
Nutri Cereals Export Promotion Forum:
* Centre has created the Nutri Cereals Export Promotion Forum to give impetus to the export of potential products, including millets, and to remove the bottlenecks in the supply chain of Nutri cereals.
* Millets have superior nutritional values in comparison to highly consumed cereals such as rice and wheat.
* Millets are rich in calcium, iron, and fibers that help in fortifying essential nutrients for the healthy growth in children.
* Also, the usage of millets in infant food and nutrition products is increasing.
Varieties of millet :
* There are 16 major varieties of millet, which are produced and exported, including Sorghum (Jowar), Pearl Millet (Bajra), Finger Millet (Ragi) Minor Millets (Kangani), Proso Millet (Cheena), Kodo Millet (Kodo), Barnyard Millet (Sawa/Sanwa/Jhangora), Little Millet (Kutki), Two Pseudo Millets (BuckWheat/Kuttu), Ameranthus (Chaulai) and Brown Top Millet.
Source : PIB